Most of July, it would seem.
Contrary to my best intentions, I got off to a bad start in July with regard to updating this with my weekly “Hey! Look what I wrote” post. I have a good excuse, check out the picture on the top (I’m the blue helmet to left of the box–grinning like a crazy person). Rafting in Tennessee on the 4th of July and associated travel started a wave of weekends on which I didn’t have the time or energy to type this up.
So here it is, please click on (and read!) what sounds interesting. Check out the ones in bold–I think they’re the most important. Also read the shark story, because why not?
July Week 1
- What Should US Policy in Central Asia Be?
- Kazakhstan and Italy Sign $500 Million in Deals
- What’s That Got to Do With the Price of Beer in China?
- Explaining Kazakhstan’s Mysterious Sleeping Sickness – then go read this more recent and awesome story (with photos!) from a journalist Buzzfeed(!) sent to the village in question. She talks to the people living there–it’s an excellent report.
- Narendra Modi’s Agenda in Central Asia: Energy, Terrorism, and China
- Kazakh Fisherman Shot by Uzbek Border Guards
- How to Prevent Violent Extremism in Central Asia
July Week 2
- A ‘New Chapter’ for India and Central Asia?
- Afghan Officials Reportedly Meet With Taliban in Pakistan
- What to Expect as Leaders of BRICS, SCO and EEU Gather in Russia
- India Inks New Nuclear Deal with Kazakhstan
- What Justice? Afghan Court Overturns Death Sentences in Farkhunda Murder
- Tajikistan Uses Laws to Crush Islamist Opposition
- Turkmenistan Says Russia Hasn’t Paid for Gas in 2015
- Thailand Deports 100 Uyghurs to China
July Week 3
- China-Kazakhstan Copper Mine Brawl: Food for Thought?
- Why Is India Hopeful About Iran and Central Asia?
- Will There Be an Indian Air Base in Tajikistan?
- How Many Tajik ISIS Recruits Were Arrested in Turkey?
- Amid Economic Woes, Kazakhstan Loosens Grip on Currency
- US to Seize $300 Million in Uzbek Bribery Case
- Sharks in a Volcano: Why You Should Care
- Several Suspected Terrorists Killed by Kyrgyz Police
- US Gives Human Rights Award to Jailed Kyrgyz Activist
- How Angry is Kyrgyzstan at America?
July Week 4 aka Magazine Week aka Hell Week. The week before publication I get a deluge of articles in that need to be edited and passed on their merry way to Tokyo in good time. Meanwhile, I need to keep up coverage of Central Asia.
- Did Tajikistan Just Monopolize the News?
- Turkmenistan Looks to Turn Natural Gas into Plastics
- Kyrgyzstan Denounces Cooperation Treaty with America
- Death of the Tajik Opposition
- Kyrgyz Weigh in on Government’s Decision to Scrap US Treaty
- Does a Kazakh Own Sherlock Holmes’ Apartment?
Should be back up to speed next week. Issue 9 of the Magazine will go live the end of the week and I’ll be working on settling the lineup for Issue 10. TEN!